I've been seeing pregnant ladies in my practice for a little over a decade now. Honestly prenatal treatment is one of my favorite things to do because there is so much acupuncture can help with throughout a pregnancy. Starting with morning sickness, all the way to labor induction, and pretty much all that happens in between. In addition to using acupuncture as treatment throughout your pregnancy, here are some natural tips that help with a few common pregnancy related issues that women face.
This is especially common in the first trimester when hormones which relax smooth muscle increase and reduce the motility in the large intestine, with the added function of increasing absorption of nutrients.
- In the morning or evening, place 4 to 5 prunes in boiling water to eat.
- Increase fruit and fiber intake and drink plenty of water.
- A cup of hot water first thing in the morning helps stimulate the intestines.
- Acidophilus could also be helpful.
Despite its name, morning sickness can happen at any time of day and is related to hormonal changes which occur in the first trimester. For some women, it can be a mild feeling of nausea but for others it can be pretty debilitating.
- Try drinking some ginger or mint tea, ginger ale, or ginger beer. For some, the bubbles help alleviate morning sickness.
- Protein snacks throughout the day. Cheese packages and nuts are easy!
- 50 mg of B6 up to four times a day.
- For more detailed tips, check out a previous article I posted about morning sickness.
Back Pain & Sciatica
Usually happens in the second or third trimester, but some women can experience this earlier.
- Try using a maternity support belt. You can find these at www.motherhood.com.
- Prenatal massage or yoga is helpful for some women, too.
This is a common complaint during pregnancy, especially for those who also suffer from constipation. Getting enough fiber and fluids to keep the bowels moving can help prevent hemorrhoids. But if you do wind up getting them here are some tips:
- Apple cider vinegar in a sitz bath. Use half a cup of raw ACV to a sitz bath and soak.
- Witch hazel soaked pads put in the freezer provide relief for hemorrhoids and are great postpartum, too.
- Aloe vera, best from the plant itself, otherwise choose one that doesn't contain added chemicals or fragrance.
- This sounds nuts, but if you dip your pinky finger in a tiny bit of cayenne pepper and apply it for 30 to 60 minutes, it will shrink hemorrhoids and stop bleeding. It might burn or itch a little, but nothing compared to suffering from hemorrhoids!
Along with spider veins, this is a common one during pregnancy. In addition to elevating legs when possible, here are some things you can do to help with circulation:
- Grape Seed Extract is a great supplement to help supplement to strengthen the vascular walls.
- Take an additional 400IU of Vitamin E to encourage circulation, but stop a couple weeks before the due date, as it can thin blood and increase bleeding.
- Swimming and yoga are great forms of exercise during pregnancy and help get the blood moving.
I've got lots of helpful tricks up my sleeve to help a mama out during her pregnancy and also to prepare her for an easier labor, including acupressure points to alleviate pain and get things moving. If you are pregnant and want a natural form of treatment, or planning on getting pregnant in the near future, acupuncture can be a great tool!
Book an appointment online or call 617-308-6620.